Aquaponics is a relatively new sustainable food production system that combines hydroponics and aquaculture. A lot of people believe that aquaponics and similar hydroponics systems are the way we will produce many fruits and vegetables in the future, as opposed to traditional outdoor farming systems.
Whether you’re growing your own vegetables for personal consumption or growing in a commercial sense, the aquaponics system can provide you with bigger and healthier results and eliminate all outside factors that can affect production. Because this growing system can be used indoors, weather factors will no longer affect you’re ability to grow quality plants any time of the year.
When designing you’re own aquaponics system there are a number of factors that you may want to consider before going out and purchasing items.
* Size and Space: The first and foremost thing you are going to want to consider when designing and building an aquaponics system, is to determine the amount of space you either have available or the amount that you would like to grow. Typically the best way to assess this issue is to consider how plants you would like to grow. With an aquaponics system it is easier to estimate production based on the amount of light source you will be using. Once you determine you’re desired amount of plants you will now be ready to determine the amount of light necessary to achieve these goals. For outdoor use the same ideas apply.
* Determine amount of light needed: After you know how much you want to produce, it’s best to research online the amount of light you will need. There are tons of forums, message boards, and you tube videos that will give you insight into how much light you will need. This information is going to give you an idea on how much space is needed to attain this amount of light. For outdoor use this isn’t a step of preparation due to the fact the sun is the light source.
* Create product list: Once you know the approximate size of your system you can start creating a product list that you will need to complete this system. Aquaponics systems have a lot of different parts, and you will need to understand the processes before you can build the system. However, building a system is always cheaper and allows you to customize your system based on your individual needs.
* Research product prices: The Internet often allows for the cheapest purchase of various items necessary for building an aquaponics system. Doing a little homework and finding the cheapest products online is usually the way to go.
* Create a building plan: By this point you’ve done your homework researching aquaponics systems, and have a game plan on the dimensions of your project. You’ve also made a breakdown of the product list and found sources to purchase these products. The next step is to put you’re plan into action and get started on building your aquaponics system. By following these steps you will understand the mechanics of an aquaponics system, and have an easier time obtaining the pieces and putting together your very own aquaponics system.